January 3, 2014

::2014::

Is it really 2014 already? It feels like we just started year 2013 last month. Happy New Year! I hope it brings you (and me) all the best and lots of crafty time.

Every year I think that Christmas gifts for my girls should be handmade by me. But then I realize that I have too many kids to start making those gifts far in advance in the year to be able to finish it all by December. This last Christmas I had a great idea to give K a Waldorf doll. I've been in love with these dolls for quite some time but never tried making one yet. And I did not make one. Ha. I bought an unfinished one (without hair and clothes) from an Etsy store and started working on it.

2014 01 02 0003

It turned out a bigger project than I thought it would be.

clothes

I forgot that I don't have a sewing machine here in London. I had to make all the clothes by hand. I never even thought of how much work it is. And let me tell ya, it ain't easy nor fast.

clothes2

I actually liked making little doll clothes. But at the same time thought of how much faster and nicer it would be if I had some elves to help me my sewing machine.

clothes3

I also bought a cute fabric suitcase to hold the dolly and her clothes. She fits in it quite nicely.

suitcase

When K opened it she did not show much excitement and my heart fell. I thought, "That is why I don't make handmade gifts for my children". But then after all the craziness of the Christmas morning and opening gifts she started playing with it. I was very happy to see her playing with the doll and walking around with her suitcase. I think she might be a little too young for a doll like that but I just couldn't wait any longer to make a Waldorf doll (even if it was just partly). Too bad my other girls don't play with dolls.

Oh, and I got a little blog award from the Green Eyed Oriole blog which is kind of nice. Thank you, Anastasia, for giving it to me!

4 comments:

  1. I am so impressed that you made all that by hand. The doll and the clothes are so cute. One of my goals for this year is to make doll clothes for my daughter. I would like to do some matching outfits too. I'm making them more for me I think because my daughter (2 1/2) likes the ugly outfit that came with her doll best. I finally had to hide the ugly outfit because I really wanted the doll to wear a pretty nightgown Santa bought her from Etsy this Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Christine, I had to laugh when I read that you had to hide the doll's ugly outfit. Because I do the same thing :) My daughter is 2 1/2 too so I totally know what you're talking about. And it was so much fun making the doll clothes. I'll be making more. I think I'll be the one playing with the doll and not K. :)

      Delete
  2. Oh my gosh, I can't believe you sewed those by hand. They look machine made! Awesome job! I love those Waldorf dolls too but my girls would never ever play with them. They are such stinkers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm giving you another blog award. It is a little more involved - you have to answer questions and nominate people. Details here.

    ReplyDelete